question-icon

Suggest treatment for PCOS

Posted on Fri, 6 May 2016
Question: hello,
i am 23 yrs old. i was diagnosed with pcos 2 yrs before. i still haven't been able to loose weight. i am currently on no medications and my periods are irregular. could you pls give me some advice as to what medications are good and how i can loose my weight properly.
thank you.
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma (29 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Weight loss is the key to treatment

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
I have gone through your question and understand your concerns.
PCOS is associated with weight gain and irregular periods.
Weight loss is the basis of treatment for PCOS.
Proper diet, regular exercise and lifestyle changes like less stress, more physical activity will help you in decreasing weight.
Exercise includes regular jogging, cycling, yoga, aerobics, skipping and playing games like lawn tennis and badminton.
Treatment includes metformin, myoinositol, oral contraceptive pills, but these are to be taken after you are prescribed these by an OBGYN specialist.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr Deepti Verma
OBGYN
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak
Dr. Deepti Verma

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine