Suggest treatment for PCOS, hyperinsulinemia, high cholesterol and depression

Posted on Thu, 18 Jun 2015 in General Health
Question: I have PCOS, hyperinsulinemia, high cholesterol, depression and allergies to mold, dust, dust mites and certain foods. I am fatigued most of the time and never really feel good. I have been going to my family doctor annually and I am on medication for all the above but never really feel any better. He runs blood tests and dismisses my concerns when all levels are normal with the exception of WBC which is slightly elevated. I believe this past result was 12.9. Should I simply accept that this is a side effect of the PCOS, allergies, etc or should I go to a specialist? I am really not sure what to do next but desperately want to feel better.
Answered by Dr. Nidhi Setia 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
do consult a specialist.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
welcome to HCM.
I understand your concerns.

Hyperinsulinemia and high cholesterol are a part of PCOS.

You also have allergy to mold, dust, dust mites and some foods.

This, by no means, implies that you ought to stay depressed.

The symptoms of PCOS can be managed by drugs.

I think the depression which you have developed is more of a secondary depression due to giving up to illness.

I would definitely suggest you to consult a specialist. Your illness definitely has a treatment and there is nothing to be depressed about.

If possible, kindly list the drugs which you are taking so that we can filter out the unnecessary drugs and select the most appropriate ones for you.

Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Nidhi Setia 1 hour later
Spironolactone 50 mg, Escitalopram 20 mg, Simvastatin 40 mg, Metformin HCL 750mg, Medroxyprogestrone 10 mg and Flonase
Answered by Dr. Nidhi Setia 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
change of antidepressant; relaxation exercises.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for reverting back.
Sorry for the delayed response.

I think the drugs are appropriate.
I feel you need change of antidepressant escitalopram.
20mg is the maximum dose of escitalopram for depression.
As you are not feeling good, I think the antidepressant needs to be changed.

I would suggest you to consult a psychiatrist for proper evaluation and appropriate treatment.

Also, you can practice relaxation exercises like deep breathing and meditation. These are excellent stress busters.

Include green vegetables and fruits in your diet as these serve as antioxidants.

Hope this helps.
Feel free to discuss further.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Nidhi Setia 6 hours later
Thank you, Dr. Setia, for your guidance. I just wasn't sure what my next course of action should be but I sincerely need to improve the way I feel. It's currently difficult to function as I need to.
Answered by Dr. Nidhi Setia 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
happy to help.

Detailed Answer:
You are most welcome.
I am happy that you found my advice helpful.

I hope you get well soon.

Feel free to ask if you have more queries anytime.

Dr. Nidhi Setia

OBGYN