Suggest treatment for PCOS and obesity during pregnancy

Dr. Sudha Rani Panagar

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 22 Mar 2017 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi
I am 6 weeks pregnant. I have PCOS,insulin resistance and I am obese. I have 2 problems.
1. My Blood sugar levels have come pretty high yesterday. Fasting 133 and PP 237, HBA1C 6.8
2. My ultrasound TVS scan reports say that corpus luteal cyst could not be seen.

What should I do continue my pregnancy?

Currently I am taking dubagest SR 300 daily and metformin 500mg and also doctor has prescribed Materna HCG 5000 weekly once.
Answered by Dr. Sudha Rani Panagar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Madam,you can continue your pregnancy.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HealthcareMagic.Thanks for trusting HealthcareMagic doctors for your health related queries.
I guess your concern is whether you can continue pregnancy with diabetes.You can continue,but with little extra care.
I have understood the information you have shared with us and gone through the reports you have sent.
Pregnancy with diabetes comes under the category of high risk case of pregnancy.Because when the blood sugars are at higher level there are chances of abortion.However,if abortion doesn't occur,there are chances of still birth in future months of pregnancy.Hence,it comes under high risk pregnancy.
As i have told above,you can continue your pregnancy with extra care.Abortion and still birth can be prevented with good sugar controls,that is the secret and effective strategy of successful pregnancy in a women with diabetes.
Your doctor has given tablet for diabetes and progesterone hormone to maintain pregnancy.
For time being don't focus on Tvs scan report.Your main concern is diabetes.
Well with above small discussion you can try out my suggestions:-
1.Have patience and be optimist.
2.Request your doctor that you would like to take consultation from endocrinologist for diabetes.
3.Follow the advise given by doctors.
4.Do regular blood test and follow up with your doctor consistently.
With good control of sugar levels i am quite sure that you will have a successful pregnancy.
Doctor will do their job with medicines and your contribution is to be just optimist.
Feel free to ask any further queries.
Regards:Dr.Sudha XXXXXXX panagar.MBBS,MS(obstetrics and gynecology)

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Sudha Rani Panagar 49 minutes later
Thanks for your response Doctor!!

You have provided me with much needed hope.

Just have one question. Prior to my pregnancy I was not diabetic.
My fasting sugar was 100.
Is this due to pregnancy that I developed diabetes??

HBA1c 6.8 is good or bad?
Answered by Dr. Sudha Rani Panagar 0 minute later
Brief Answer:
Yes madam,its pregnancy related.

Detailed Answer:
Hi again.
Most of my patients too have asked this question-before pregnancy i was not diabetic and this diabetes is it because of pregnancy??Answer to this question is Yes.From pregnancy a non diabetic can become diabetic.Its medically called gestational diabetes.It will settle down after you deliver the baby.
But,dont stress your mind on how you got diabetes and why you have got diabetes,just enjoy process of motherhood.
HbA1c should be ideally 6 in your case.Its almost near to it.Regular workup and medicines will get you results of 6.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Sudha Rani Panagar 2 days later
Thank you Mam, Met Endocrinologist, he suggested to continue metformin and gave insulin shots 10 in the morning and 8 in the night before. Is insulin safe for the baby? Hope I don't have any side effects with the same. Thanks again
Brief Answer:
Its safe.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
I hope you are doing well.
The anti-diabetic drugs are not only safe for mother but also for growing baby.
You can take them without any second thought about it.

Wishing you a very successful and safe pregnancy.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad