Suggest treatment for OCD

Dr. Karen Steinberg

Posted on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Mental Health
Question: I have a question ... I am OCD .... and I always think the worst ... so here is my question ,... I was at our Lake XXXXXXX yesterday ,... and I stepped on a round piece of metal .... When I looked down it looked like the snap to a boat cover ...... Then my mind starts playing tricks on me .... and I start thinking.... maybe its the part of the syringe that you put your thumb on and push the fluid out of the syringe ( the top of plunger) .... Then my mind goes further and I have a panic attack .... My question is .... With a syringe....Is there ever a time when the end of the plunger the round end of a syringe that you use your finger to push the fluid out .....1.) Is that round piece Ever and I mean EVER Directly connected to the needle part of a syringe that inserts or goes into a persons arm ???? Is the Round piece ever directly connected to the needle part of a syringe ???? Plus question # 2.) Is there ever a time when the end of the plunger on the outside ... The little round piece that you use to push down on to insert something into the body ..... Is there ever a time when that round piece is touching the fluid in the tube or the needle ..... JUST the ROUND end piece at the end of the plunger ... the little piece that you put your finger on to pull or push liquid through .... I just want to calm my Fears ....
Pus I don't think I have ever seen a metal round piece at the end of a syringe ?? Looking like a snap to a boat cover (metal one).... is there??? .... nevertheless ... Please help me with all these answers to calm my fears.....
Answered by Dr. Karen Steinberg 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The end piece does not touch fluid in the syringe

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thank you for using Healthcare Magic. I understand your worry, but try not to be concerned. It sounds like your OCD is really acting up.

The round part of the plunger you push on to inject fluid is always outside and doesn't contact any material in the syringe. There is also no round piece that is directly connected to the needle. Additionally, the plunger (and the rest of the syringe except the needle) is made of plastic, so what you stepped on was not even any piece of a syringe. You have NO possibility of getting HIV or other blood-borne diseases from this contact.

I hope this alleviates your fears. If not, you might want to talk to your doctor about getting treatment for the OCD. Please let me know if you have further questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Karen Steinberg 2 hours later
One last question

Again for question Number 3.)
I don't know if there is a metal round piece at the end of a syringe ?? ... The part that you would push ..... Looking like a snap to a boat cover (metal one).... is there??? .... nevertheless ... Please help me with all these answers to calm my fears.....
Answered by Dr. Karen Steinberg 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No metal round thing on end of syringe

Detailed Answer:
As I said, syringes are made of plastic. The end is made of plastic so whatever you stepped on was not part of a syringe. Plus- even if it were, there is NO WAY you could have gotten exposed to any serious disease. That would only happen if fresh blood was injected into your body. Please don't worry any more!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Karen Steinberg 14 minutes later
Please help me with this question .... maybe I didn't ask it properly ....

I don't want to be put in ANY spot of doubt .... So let me just ask you those questions like this so you could PLEASE .... Copy the question and Paste the CORRECT Answer below :
I have a question ... I am OCD .... and I always think the worst ... so here is my question ,... I was at our Lake XXXXXXX yesterday ,... and I stepped on a round piece of metal .... When I looked down it looked like the snap to a boat cover ...... Then my mind starts playing tricks on me .... and I start thinking.... maybe its the part of the syringe.... The part that you put your finger or thumb on and push the fluid out of the syringe ( the top of plunger) .... Then my mind goes further and I have a panic attack .... My question is .... With a syringe :

1.) Is that round piece Ever and I mean EVER Directly connected to the needle part of a syringe that inserts or goes into a persons arm ???? Is the Round piece ever directly connected to the needle part of a syringe ????

Plus question # 2.)
Is there ever a time when the end of the plunger on the outside ... The little round piece that you use to push down on to insert something into the body ..... Is there ever a time when that round piece is touching the fluid in the tube or the needle ..... JUST the ROUND end piece at the end of the plunger ... the little piece that you put your finger on to pull or push liquid through .... I just want to calm my Fears ....

3.)
Pus I don't know if there is a metal round piece at the end of a syringe ?? ... The part that you would push ..... Looking like a snap to a boat cover (metal one).... is there??? .... nevertheless ... Please help me with all these answers to calm my fears.....
Answered by Dr. Karen Steinberg 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Get your OCD treated NOW

Detailed Answer:
I will answer your questions in the manner you request, but this will do nothing to alleviate your fears. You have been reassured repeatedly by another doctor and me that you are at no risk.

You have OCD. OCD is an anxiety disorder. What this means is you have a chemical imbalance in your brain that creates the emotion of fear. This fear and anxiety occurs because of the imbalance, but your mind tries to explain it by focusing on something in your environment that could cause it. This is your mind playing tricks on you, as you mentioned in your first post.

If you were somehow to be reassured about this particular problem, the imbalance and the feeling will still be there. Your mind will simply focus on something else to explain it, and you will start obsessing on something else in your environment.

The only way to alleviate the fear is to balance the chemicals in your brain. You need to see a psychiatrist NOW and get started on antianxiety medicine. You are NOT crazy. You have a chemical imbalance that can be treated.

I hope that you are able to understand what I am saying, and can break through your fears enough to get an appointment with a psychiatrist as soon as possible. Here are the answers to your questions again:

NO and NO

2.)
NO

3.) Pus I don't know if there is a metal round piece at the end of a syringe ?? ... The part that you would push ..... Looking like a snap to a boat cover (metal one).... is there??? .... nevertheless ... Please help me with all these answers to calm my fears.....
NO, there are no metal pieces at the end of a syringe. They are made of plastic.

Please get some treatment for your OCD so you can stop feeling like this.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj