Suggest treatment for Lyme disease

Dr. Ivo Ditah

Posted on Fri, 7 Apr 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I was just told by Dr XXXXXXX xxxxxxx in xxxxxxx ,00001 1 (000) 000-0000. He perscrribed ,DOXYCYLIINE HYCLATE 100 MG CAP
TAKE 1 CAPSULE BY MOUTH 2 X A DAY.I DID NOT TELL HIM i HAD LYME IN 198 /
COULD MY LYM FROM 1982 COME BACK AGAIN? BECAUSE A FEW PEOPLE IN MY ARE HAS LYME IN MY AREA. tHAT LAST TIME I WAS TREATED WITH PROBENESID, I REMEMBER THAT
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Why did he prescribe doxycycline to you?

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks so much for reaching out to us.

1. Lyme disease doesn't have recurrences. Once you are treated, you are treated for life. Unless you get infected again, you cannot have lyme disease. So if you have been bitten by the vector transmitting this disease, you might have it again but it is not coming from the old infection you reported.

2. Doxycycline alone is used to treat lyme disease. There is no need for probenecid unless it is administered for different reasons.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to ask further specific questions if there are any lingering worries on your mind. I will gladly and quickly address them.