Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
121 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for Keloid

Dec 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 4168 Questions
My brother has a Keloid.can you suggest good treatment for this.
Posted Sat, 22 Feb 2014 in Beauty
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 27 minutes later
Brief Answer: Kindly send details with high resolution pictures Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome and thanks for posting your query to the forum. I can understand your concern for Keloid in your brother. To guide you best I need certain important points so that the best measures can be suggested. Kindly elaborate the concern in terms of: - Since how long the problem of keloid is present in your brother. - what is the site of keloid- is it on chest or face or shoulder. - How it appeared- was there any boil or any surgery where it appeared or was it de novo in its appearance without any cause. - Is it increasing in size or stagnant since its appearance. - Any family history of keloids in other member of family. It would be best to send few good resolution pictures of the Keloid area so that it can be analyzed best. You have a feature to upload images by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your queries better. Or else, you can send as an attachment to YYYY@YYYY with the subject as "Attn: Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia). "Wish you good health" with regards, Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia (MD - Dermatology)
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for Keloid 13 minutes later
-From Last 6 years this problem perisit - on chest - extra tissue grown on body skin level. There no surgery in this location, on its own It is originated on the chest - few year back it is stagnant but this year it spreding around. - no family history - It appears as burned tissue on chest above the body skin level.
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 3 hours later
Brief Answer: best treated by triamcinolone injections Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for posting necessary details. To tell you simply about keloids- In normal healing the tissue proliferates in a controlled systemic manner but in keloids there is proliferation of tissue in the skin in haphazard manner. It is most common on chest ( as in your brother). Keloids are most common in dark skin person (Africans-Asians), more tendency is present in people with family history of Keloids or wound infections or poor wound healing. In your brother as the keloid is growing so the main course of therapy in this condition is by injection of steroid. Keloids are best treated by triamcinolone injections in proper dose and strength. I suggest you to meet a proper dermatologist who can judge the exact concentration of the triamcinolone injections to be given to your keloid area. After the injection you will see the result in next 2-3 weeks as halting of growth of keloid as well flattening in the tissue. Do not try to go for any type of surgeries on keloids as it can cause further recurrence and complexity of the condition. I hope these informations are helpful in your brother's condition. If you have any further queries then I will be glad to help. "Wish you good health" with regards, Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia (MD - Dermatology)
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor