• question-icon

Suggest treatment for Kaposi's sarcoma

Posted on Thu, 6 Jul 2017 in Cancer
Question: My husband has classic kaposi sarcoma. He comes from Italy and has had radiation therapy and
recently a pet scan which stated it had not moved from his lower left leg and had not grown in size. It is still
swollen and we are trying to understand what we can do now.....he is 78 years old. His internist said "checks every 3-4 months was all we could do.........what would you recommend as the next step or
alternatives to this information.
Answered by Dr. Esmeralda Sera 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Sarcoma caposi

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking

Its is good news a pet scan show that the sarcoma had not moved from his lower left leg
The only think that you can do in this case is follow -up.
One goal of follow-up care is to check for a recurrence. Cancer recurs because small areas of cancer cells may remain undetected in the body. Over time, these cells may increase in number until they show up on test results or cause signs or symptoms. ,. Some people may have blood tests or imaging tests done as part of regular follow-up care, but testing recommendations depend on several factors including the type and stage of cancer originally diagnosed and
the types of treatment given

I agree with your doctor

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Esmeralda Sera

Oncologist