Suggest treatment for IBS symptoms

Rheumatologist
Question
Dear Dr.

I have been suffering from IBS symptoms since last 3 years. In 2011, i had a colonoscopy done and diagnosed as non-specific. Last one year whenever i had any small bouts of diarrhoea, i took loperamide. With a maximum of 2-3 tablets, i was cured. In last one year, similar incidents occurred about 9-10 times. Recently my GP asked not to take the same as it is a banned drug. Instead he suggested to take Normaxin TDS for 15 days. Last week, i had a diarrhoeal episode i took Ornidazole+cefixime combination for 5 days. It stopped yesterday. However, although i have formed stool but today i went to toilet 3 times. Should I start Normaxin TDS from tonight. I am normally feeling hungry after a regular interval. Please suggest.

XXXX
Posted Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follows.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir,

Thank you for posting your query on HCM.

Well looking into your query I will like to tell you that you need not take antibiotics for a diarrhoeal episode related to IBS . Its only when you run fever that antibiotics should be taken .

Anyways, if you were a patient in my practice, I would recommend that start and take normaxin twice daily for 7 days and then stop it . Ibs related diarrhoea generally does not affect the appetite so you will hungry normally .

Dr. Shruti

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for IBS symptoms 14 minutes later
Dear Dr. XXXXXXX

Thank you so much for your response. Should I initiate tablet Normaxin from tonight and should I take it before meal? Further, in case of any sudden bouts, should I take Normaxin? As I had mentioned earlier that in last one year I used to take Loperamide 2 mg in case of any sudden situation and with maximum 2-3 tablets I used to be totally cured. I have done the same for about 9-10 times in last one year. Should I stop doing that completely?

XXXX

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follows.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir,

You can take it from tonight and there is not much relation with meals . You should not take loperamide regularly but occasionally it can be taken .

You should take curd regularly and probiotics , it will help you in overcoming IBS .

Dr. Shruti