Suggest treatment for IBS despite medication

Dr. Amit Jain

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Fri, 16 Oct 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: For IBS problem since years
a) Urge to stool after eating
b) No nausea or vomiting feeling
c) Slight needle like pain in right side of abdomen
d) Earlier intestinal swelling detected
f) Weight is 68kg not decreasing
g) no diabeties
h) Ultrasound normal
e)Thyroid normal

a) Librax (4 months course complete)
b)Providac(2 daily)
c)Tryptomer 25mg ...night
d)Clonazapam once at night

For BP
a) Concor am 5 once daily

For Cholestrol
a) Feno TG 145 once at night

For Migrane
a)Gabapentene (twice daily)
Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Take ots of fibres and tablet normaxin

Detailed Answer:
Hello! Thanks for putting your query in HCM. I am Dr.Amit Jain (DM, Gastroenterologist). I appreciate your concern. I have gone through the details and there is no doubt that it is only IBS and nothing else. I will suggest you to :
1. Take lots of fibres and fluid in your diet. Take lots of fruits and vegetables. May add psyllium fibres
2. For abdominal pain and urge after defecation take tablet normaxin which is a combination of chlordiazepoxide, clidiniumwhich and dicyclomine. This medicine I found very useful in my patients.
I hope I have answered your query.If you have any further query I will be happy to answer that too. Wish you a good health
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Amit Jain 21 minutes later
Dear Sir,

Appreciate your concern , for how long normaxin to be taken and the daily dosage , further i had some bubble sound in my stomach is it due to IBS.

Highly appreciate for your early reply to start the course.
Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Buble sound may be due to fluid intake or excessive gas

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.

Normaxin is to be taken thrice a day before meals. Duration of intake will depend on the response and relief you will get. Bubble sound may be normal due to presence of fluid/ water in stomach or it may be due to excessive gas production. If this bubbling you have noticed after drinking water or fluid then nothing is required to be done. However if it is due to gas then I will suggest you:
1. Observe whether dairy products worsen this symptom then avoid dairy products
2. Don't take carbonated drinks
3/ Avoid cabbage, beans, pulses
4. Take capsule of simethicone and tab gasex by Himalaya may be twice a day. Both I found very useful in my patients with bloating symptoms

I hope I have answered your query and this will help you.If you don’t have any further query, close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you a good health
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj