• question-icon

Suggest treatment for IBS, acid reflux and diarrhea

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have IBS and am under a doctor's treatment. I had a Prednisone taper about 2 months ago. Since then I have been having cramping, diahrrea, and a lot of gas. My doctor has done blood work and stool tests. Everything so far has come back negative. I take an antioxidant vitamin, but have also been on the FODMAP diet for about a year and a half. Any thoughts on the cause of the current problem?
Answered by Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Medication side effects

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your question on HCM

I do understand your concern

“As” per your present clinical history is concerned you have already treated for [IBS] and you are taking right medication for it so continue with it. Your present problem is due to [prednisone] only and it happens several times so discuss with your doctor for a prescription PPI like [pantoprazole].

Hope that helps
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo 40 hours later
The prednisone was for back pain from several bulging discs. Since I have problems with a lot of meds and I have taken prednisone before, that is what my doctor gave me for it. I don't think that pantoprazole would be a good substitute in that case or in previous times that i have taken prednisone. I just don't understand why it takes so long after I finish the prednisone for it to cause me problems and why it lasts so long. I know that if I have a stomach bug that most people get over in 24-48 hours that it takes me one or two months. Is that what is happening here? The last time this happened after prednisone it was still giving me problems 3-4 months later.
Answered by Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
medication effects

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your follow up question

“As” per your question it happens several times after prolonged use of steroids and regarding stomach bug I may say that as you have tested your stool and found negative so there is no chance of any infection at all.

Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo 49 minutes later
The prednisone was a 5 or 6 day taper - not long term use. However, it has happened another time last year and lasted for 3 -4 months. It doesn't create the problem while I am taking it, but it starts maybe 2-3 weeks after finishing the 5 or 6 day dosage. As for the stomach bug issue - that is not part of this problem. I was just stating that in regard to my IBS, that is how my system reacts to a stomach bug - it takes longer for me to get rid of it. It has no bearing on what is happening now.
Answered by Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Medication effects most likely

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your follow up question

As per your question, I may say that irritable bowel syndrome triggers differently from person to person so try to avoid those triggering factors, if possible, and do take a natural probiotic like yogurt regularly.

Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Uday Nath Sahoo