Suggest treatment for HbseAg negative chronic hepatitis B infection

Dr. Praveen

Posted on Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Infections
Question: Dear sir (40 age) 5 days before while donating blood found Hbsag positive done Hbseg which is negative and DNA quantity 10500 Iu/ml . How I can treat is there possible to cure
- XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Praveen 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can definitely be cured with interferons

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear.Thanks for giving me an opportunity to address your query.

I have gone through your reports and I appreciate your efforts for sharing the same.You are having HbeAg negative Chronic Hepatitis B.Yes, this can definitely be treated.

Before initiating the treatment I were to ask for ALT enzyme levels and do liver biopsy to understand the nature of liver tissue(to rule out changes suggestive of liver damage).

Coming to the treatment options since the DNA loads are higher than 2000 IU/ml I were to choose Interferon(PEG-IFN) for about 6 months.Since the interferons are costly oral anti-viral drugs (Lamivudine etc) become my second choice which are usually taken for 12 months.

Hope this answers your query.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D