Suggest treatment for HFMD in a child

Dr. Prasanna Heijebu

Posted on Fri, 30 Oct 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: My kid who is 3years old had HFMD for a week and now it is completely reduced with just little scars.
With our paediatrician's advice we travelled to XXXXXXX from XXXXXXX as his symptoms reduced completely.
After coming here within 2days he caught cold,ffever and cough.Of course one of my family members was unwell since 2days with fever.

Today we went to paediatrician for fever he said this is because of infection and prescribed below medicines,

Azithral 200mg(once in a day 1hr after meal for 5days)
Altime cough and cold syrup 3days
P-250 for fever

My concern is whether HFMD will have a recurrence or is this just a infection as doctor said.Is it safe to take antibiotic Azithral within a day of fever and cold.As my kid also have mild eczema in his elbows and face will the above medication be allergic to his condition.

Please advice

Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Prasanna Heijebu 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Antibiotics are rightly prescribed.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Sir.

I can understand your concerns.

HFMD is a viral disease and associated bacterial infections are common.

Hence your pediatrician might have prescribed the antibiotics.

Azithral is less likely to be an allergic drug to exacerabate his current skin lesions .

Recurrences are less likely with HFMD.

Hence it better to go with antibiotics at the moment.
Post your further queries if any.

Thank you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar