Suggest treatment for H. pylori

Psychiatrist
Question
I have been taking 150 mg of trazadone for 25 years. Trazadone is the only anti-depressant that works for me. I have now been diagnosed with h-pylori. What regimen of antibiotics can I take concurrent with my continued use of trazodone . Note: I have had severe reactions to alternatives to trazadone such as Cymbalta and lyrica.
Posted Tue, 26 Aug 2014 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
BMT regine is safe...

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

The commonly recommended regimes for treatment of H. pylori are the triple therapy regimes - omeprazole, amoxicillin, and clarithromycin (OAC) regime, lansoprazole, amoxicillin, and clarithromycin (LAC) regime and bismuth subsalicylate, metronidazole, and tetracycline (BMT) regime.

Among these medication Clarithromycin which is found in the OAC and LAC regimes has an interaction with Trazadone (Clarithromycin can cause an increase in the blood levels of Trazadone). The bismuth subsalicylate, metronidazole, and tetracycline (BMT) regime does not have any significant reactions with Trazadone.

Please consult your doctor before starting any medication and keep him well informed about your past history of severe reactions to several medication.

Best wishes,
Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar MBBS., DPM., MRCPsych.(U.K.)
Consultant Psychiatrist

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for H. pylori 17 minutes later
I have shown strong reactions to most salicylates in the past--aspirin, peptobismo,
salicylate fruits etc. I do have fibromyalgia. The salicylates amplified burning sensations in my body and/or caused vomiting.

Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 25 hours later
Brief Answer:
Alternative suggested

Detailed Answer:

As you have had a previous allergic reaction to salicylates, it would be advisable to avoid bismuth subsalicylate. In this case, the other recommended option would be a combination of Metronidazole, Tetracycline and Bismuth subcitrate potassium. None of these drugs have any known significant interaction with Trazodone.

Best wishes,
Consultant Psychiatrist