Suggest treatment for GERD and panic attacks

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 4 Apr 2017 in GERD
Question: 2weeks ago I had a price of foodcaught in my throat I have Gerd . It scared me and I had a panic attack l
It felt food was lodged or stuck. Later had spasms trying to bring up burp or air.Spasms got bad and had an endscopy which was normal psych nurse practioner
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Esophageal spasm

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
To recapitulate: Female/62 - piece of food caught in throat 2 weeks ago - GERD - scared - panic attack - spasms trying to bring up, burp up air - normal endoscopy - Psyche nurse practitioner - noted the medications tried ...

Since you have GERD, the esophagus is usually inflamed and hence can go into spasms as had happened with you.
Since there is no food found and endoscopy was reported as normal, the worry is less.
If this has happened once only, it can be taken as a case of idiopathic esophageal spasm and to take about not repeating by slow eating, proper chewing and be calm and quiet during eating.
Also try to identify the factors, foods, beverages that can instigate or enhance the problems and to stop them altogether.

I hope this answer helps you.
Please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.
Please let me know if there are any problems/symptoms at the moment.
Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 5 hours later
I was frightened by the attack and went psychiatrist because of my history with major depression and anxiety and she upped antianxiety drug Ativan and prozac , could these drugs help with calming the Fearfulness down and Support healing. Your answer helped.

Also what is the best medical treatment for Gerd
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
As detailed below.

Detailed Answer:
Surely, the medications should help.
Added Medical treatment of GERD:
PPI like Pantoprazole.
Motility regulator like Domperidone - may need a prescription of your Doctor.
Antacid in liquid form, at three hourly interval, particularly when you are on empty stomach.
Soft bland diet in small frequent way.
Early dinner and walk around after food.
Sleep in reclining position.
Avoid all the foods and beverages that instigate or enhance your problems.
Stress/anxiety / depression all enhance the problems hence need to be well controlled to have effective outcome.

I hope this answers your query.