• question-icon

Suggest treatment for GERD and Pharyngitis

Posted on Wed, 12 Jul 2017 in General Health
Question: I am 37 year old having history of GERD, Hypertrphy tonsils, frequent Pharyngitis , DNS and Chronic Sinusitis. In March, went through upper endoscopy which revealed H. Pylori Gastritis. I was given HP Kit for 2 weeks and then maintenance therapy for 2 months. For last 1 month i am having sore throat with nasal blockage. ENT reviewed and found tonsillitis with Pharyngitis and gave 1 week antibiotic. I had few days of relief and again i am having bad throat and feeling to clear throat . No problem in swallow food but throat hurts while spicy food. Please suggest
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kini 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Salt water gargling in hot water twice daily for one week

Detailed Answer:
Hello Dear. You are having 2 ailments right now which you need to focus on. One is GERD and another one is tonsillitis.

You need to follow a strict diet and lifestyle plan to combat gastritis/GERD.

1. Do not eat spicy food

2. Take medications without fail as prescribed by your doctor. Be it H.Pylori kit tablets or antacids

3. Take little food at frequent intervals. Breakfast around 8am, small snack at 11am, lunch at 1pm, small snack at 4pm and dinner at 8pm

4. Drink plenty of water

5. Do not smoke, take alcohol or tobacco and even excess of coffee and tea

6. Do not take much of stress. Stress aggravates gastritis

7. Do regular exercise. Atleast half an hour per day

8. Learn meditation techniques

9. Follow this regularly for 21 days. It is said that anything you practice regularly for 21 days becomes a habit

Now coming to your tonsillitis/Pharyngitis, you can do some home remedies to combat your symptoms

1. Drink plenty of fluids, especially hot or very cold drinks (yes, some experts suggest even very cold drink will help).

2. Gargle warm salt water atleast two times per day for a week.

3. Take painkillers, such as paracetamol, at the recommended dose.

4. Take full course of antibiotics as suggested by your doctor

5. Suck throat lozenges containing a local anaesthetic (these are only suitable for adults).

6. Install a humidifier or place bowls of water near radiators to keep the air moist.

7. If your tonsils are really big and chronically inflammed giving foul smell then you may have to consider the option of going for tonsillectomy.

For the time being i suggest you to do salt water gargling in hot water twice daily for one week without fail. Completely avoid spicy food. It may help.

Hope i have answered your question. Feel free to contact me if you have any more questions. I ll be glad to help you.
All the best
With warm regards
Dr Sanjay Kini     

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Sanjay Kini 10 minutes later
Thanks for your suggestion. 2 Questions.

Can chronic sore throat because of Sinusitis or GERD?
Should i be concerned even after endoscopy ?
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kini 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes chronic sore throat can be due to sinusitis or GERD

Detailed Answer:
Yes, definitely chronic sore throat can be due to long standing GERD or sinusitis. GERD causes acid reflux in the throat, which leads to the growth of bacteria like streptococci and there by sore throat. Sinusitis can lead to post nasal drip and chronic sore throat. Endoscopy is just a procedure to diagnose H.Pylori gastritis. Its not a treatment modality.

So main thing is that you need to see to it that you will not get gastritis and sinusitis. Take measures as i suggested to avoid gastritis and sinusitis. Do steam inhalation in hot water by adding vicks vaporub. This will clear your sinuses. Do it regularly

With regards- Dr Sanjay Kini
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Sanjay Kini