• question-icon

Suggest treatment for Cushing's syndrome

Posted on Fri, 29 May 2015 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: What are treatments for Cushing syndrome?
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It depends on the cause

Detailed Answer:

the treatment depends on the cause. If the hormonal imbalance is cause by a pituitary tumor then the best treatment is the surgical one. Removing the tumor will - most likely - solve the problem. If an adrenal tumor is the problem, the same answer applies. There are also cases that the hormone is produced by tumors unrelated to normal cortisol secretion (ectopic production). Treating the primary tumor will make things better.

If no surgical approach is feasible, then drug treatment is indicated. Somatostatin analogues (pasireotide) decreased cortisol secretion and might help. Various suppressors of the adrenals may also help like ketoconazole and metyrapone.

I hope I've helped!
You can contact me again, if you'd like to ask more questions.

Kind regards!
Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis