Suggest treatment for Crohn's disease

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Fri, 13 Apr 2018 in General Health
Question: I had small bowel resection done years ago, due to a blockage, polyps, and strictures had colonoscopies done yearly. XXXXXXX 2016 was my last one since then I have pain on the lower left quadrant every day. In the last couple of months I have lost more than fifteen pounds. All x-rays show nothing now my doctors want to do a pill cam how safe in this procedure and will they be able to do it . I have Crohn's Disease since 1982
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
usually a safe procedure

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Pillcam has proven to be useful especially for taking a look at the small intestines which can be very difficult to see with normal endoscopy because they are not accessible.

It involves following a video capsule after an 8 to 12 hour fast. It is very small, usually about 11 mm (1.1cm) * 30 mm (3 cm). Images are recorded very quickly, possibly 2 frames/sec.

The capsule normally passes within 24 hours. It usually a well tolerated procedure

In most cases, persons do fine but complications can rarely occur. The most serious adverse event is retention of the capsule. This is defined as the capsule remaining for more than 2 weeks.
This occurs in 1 % to 3% (1 to 3 out of 100).

Retention is more common in some persons including persons with Crohn's disease so you would need to discuss this your doctor.
Adhesions, ulcerations and blockages can also increase the risk of retention

Retention is asymptomatic meaning that a person does not usually have any symptoms associated with the retention.
In most cases, watchful waiting is done (just wait a little longer), and it passes. Medical therapy such as the use of steroids or meds to increase movement of the bowel, can be used.

If this is not effective, if needed endoscopy can be done

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions