• question-icon

Suggest treatment for Ciprofloxacin tendinitis

Posted on Fri, 23 Oct 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: My urologist put me on ciproflaxican 500mg twice a day,for 7 days to prevent infection after looking into my bladder with lighted scope. After 9 tablets I noticed pain,inflammation,muscle aches in legs and some swelling in ankles and heels.This was caused by the Cipro! I stopped taking it , its been 30 hours since I had my last pill. I now have Cipro induced tendonitis of my ankles! How long before Cipro gets out of my system? How long before my symptoms improve with rest,ice,elevation,hot baths? Do I need vitamins with magnesium,as Cipro deplets magnesium in tendons? Is this true? What other treatments can I do or have treat this?I contacted the nurse in my doctors office about this problem. Cipro might be a good drug for infections, but has to many bad side effects. Hope this tendonitis isn't permanent damage? Can you help advise me?
Answered by Dr. Ahmad Nazzal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Damage is not permanent with proper treatment.

Detailed Answer:
Dear xxxxxxxx

Thank you for taking time to seek for help here in HCM. I will make sure to answer your query to the best that I can.

First I am sorry that you had to be one of the people who develops this serious complication of the ciprofloxacin medication. In general population prevalence rate is (0.14–0.4%). In case of renal problems this rate increases though.

Dealing with situation now is exactly what you are doing stopping the mediation and, rest rest and rest I can not emphasize how important rest right now is you want to avoid the more serious complication which is Achilles tendon rupture, that is why it is advised to do an ultrasound or an xray or even better a MRI to assess the situation of the tendons. If you do them please feel free to send them to me too.

The pathophysiology of how cipro might lead to tendinitis is still not clear.

The pain and redness caused by the tendinitis will subside by its own but will take a couple of weeks for that to happen up to two months, meanwhile if you hear a pop this means you developed a rapture in the tendon and this will need orthopedic intervention and this will prolong recovery significantly. Nevertheless cipro will be out in 22 hours from your system, but danger of rupture tendons remains as long as the inflammation is there.

It is true Cipro tends to be a chelating agent and depletes Mg among other minerals its good to take a multivitamin but please before taking any new medication refer to your treating urologist to assess your situation. Some pain control medications can help subsidize the symptoms but you should consult your doctor before taking any new mediations.

Plus ask your doctor to do a workup for kidney function tests, and an EKG to make sure this depletion of minerals is not affecting your heart plus to assess the situation of your kidneys. Please feel free to send them over to me if you need a second opinion.

Finally its important that you visit your emergency room to make sure that your symptoms are caused by cipro other health problems that can look like this are a gout attack, or deep vein thrombosis.

I hope my answer was up to your satisfaction as I mentioned above please feel free to keep me updated with any further questions and tests that you might do.

I wish you fast recovery.

Best regards,
Dr. Ahmad Nazzal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Dr. Ahmad Nazzal