Suggest treatment for Charley horses

Dr. Abhay A Mali

Diabetologist

Posted on Tue, 27 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: I have been having charley horse's lately ..I cannot have bananas...I am 74 and a diabetic...what can I do to cure them..very painful. What causes them
Answered by Dr. Abhay A Mali 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Maintain hydration. It may be drug induced in your case.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your question.

After going through your question, I can understand your concern.

In such condition for immediate relief I would have advised -
- Stretching exercise.
- Ice application.
- Drink adequate water.
- Potassium supplement: have some citrus fruits like orange, sweet lemon, lemon water with added salt. Though diabetic, you can have portion of banana.

If there is no relief or there is recurrent charle's horses (muscle cramps) there may be need for evaluation for underlying cause.

You should consult your doctor for detailed clinical examination.

In diabetic there may be following causes for XXXXXXX Horses :
- Diabetic nephropathy.
- Diabetic vasculopathy (Peripheral Vascular Diseases) decreased blood supply to lower limbs.
- Electrolytes imbalance like hypokalemia (low Potassium), hypomagnessemia (low magnesium), hypocalcemis (low calcium) These may be due to diabetic nephropathy or drug induced like use of diuretics, Vitamin D deficiency.
- Statin induced myopathy. (cholesterol lowering medicine)

In such condition it may be advisable to do following investigation -
- Renal function test - urea, creatinine, electrolytes.
- Calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, uric acid.
- Liver function test
- Vitamin D levels.
- Vitamin B12 level.
- T3,T4, TSH.
- Lower limb Arterial doppler depending upon clinical evaluation.

Hope this helps you.

Dr Abhay Mali.
Diabetologist.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad