Suggest treatment for COPD

Dr. Saumya Mittal

Diabetologist

Posted on Sat, 9 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: my mother has dx of copd on continuous 02 at 3l resulting in sats of 92-97 while awake but she desats to 76-87 while sleeping will a cpap or bipap help with her desatting while asleep, she is waiting for a sleep study evaluation, if this takes a month how damaging to her organs will the low night time oxygen levels be. she is 94 with no apparent damage to her kidneys or liver, has slight left ventricle relaxation otherwise healthy, hct 34.6 hg 10.4
2nd to hypertension that has been treated with medication, cognitive function are excellent, new dx of copd has been healthy her entire life, 5 children, last unexpectedly at 45 years of age, past smoker, normal weights, good diet, walked all her life

Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Suggestions

Detailed Answer:
Hi
I am Dr Mittal
I have been working with COPD for 5-6 years now

I have read your query
And I have the following suggestions to make

1. The possibility is high that the mask gets misplaced while sleeping. So check the mask because a misplaced mask can also cause desaturation.

2. This may portend the need to increase the pressures of the BiPAP. This may be done by an experienced physician. This may be aided by a test called ABG.

3. Ask her to start breathing exercises. The exercises will help her in deeper and better breathing. Thereby the saturation would be better

4. Observe the breathing pattern. A lower rate and depth of breathing while sleeping, may cause similar desaturation.

I hope you find the information helpful
Please feel free to ask a further query if needed

Dr Mittal
Follow up: Dr. Saumya Mittal 2 hours later
You didn't answer my question. She hasn't had the sleep study yet. She is only using 02 via nasal canula not a bipap or cpap.
Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
BiPAP will definitely help

Detailed Answer:
I think a BiPAP will definitely help her. There is no doubt about that. However an ABG prior to starting the BiPAP will help judge the decision.

As for sleep study, it may be postponed till an appointment is granted.

The current desaturation may be due to lower depth of breathing and a lower rate of breathing. So breathing exercises may help her too.

Best of luck
Dr Mittal