Suggest treatment for COPD while on Advair in a hypertensive person

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Posted on Tue, 7 Mar 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: am currently sick perhaps flu..have copd take advair but my blood pressures are high as usual when i'm sick averaging 160's to 170's ver 70's and low 80's am wondering if i should avoid the advair for awhile so far no high temp.haven't been able to sleep
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
better management of arterial blood pressure

Detailed Answer:

since you have COPD and flu you'd better continue the inhaled medications. Otherwise your COPD may get worse. It's better if you consult your doctor about a better management of your blood pressure. Furosemide is rarely a good choice for it. Perhaps a drug like an angiotensin receptor blocker or angiotensins converting enzyme inhibitor would be of help. It may also help with diabetes indirectly (by improving kidney function).

The rise in blood pressure is immediately concerning unless you have a history of aneurysm or serious heart failure. If you do then you'd better consult your doctor at once. For aneurysms in particular, the highest allowed systolic blood pressure is 125mmHg.

I hope you find my comments helpful!
Kind Regards!