Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
179 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for Bipolar disorder

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1983
Answered : 1525 Questions
I think my husband is bipolar 2. His father is bipolar schizophrenic. He has struggled with porn addiction for many years. We've been married 7 years and through the entire time he's gotten us involved in risky real estate and business investments. We acquired massive amounts of debt because of this. He obsesses over things alot. His new obsession is prepping for survival or end of the world. He was prescribed abilify back in 2008. He stopped taking it because he felt it wasn't working. I think he needs to get back on it. I had a miscarriage in December. Two days after miscarrying my husband went to the police station to apply for a gun permit. We had talked before about it and I said I didn't feel safe with that he the home. What should I do.
Posted Fri, 7 Mar 2014 in Bipolar Disorder
Answered by Dr. Saatiish Jhuntrraa 7 hours later
Brief Answer: talk and tell everything to your Psychiatrist. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for choosing, With the details provided, it seems to be BiPolar 1 , not Bipolar 2 . The person with this type can be very irrational, impulsive, spending a lot and trapped by debt, hyper sexual and violent. I fully agree that he needs to be put on medications and if he doesn't agree for it, ( the greater chances are that he would), he has to be detained as per law of the land. In india, there is mental Health Act. In USA, there are specific laws. The process has to be initiated by the hospital/ Psychiatrist. Your husband will be detained and reception orders passed. The treatment is done under proper security so You have to tell everything in detail to the psychiatrist. He will help you, in fact he is bound by law to inform the authorities regarding such a patient so do't worry. Any more query is welcome Dr Saatiish Jhuntrraa
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for Bipolar disorder 9 hours later
I already took him to the ER back in December to get a psych evaluation. They just said to follow up with his therapist/psychiatrist. He has since decided against getting a gun. He still goes to work everyday and cares for our son when I'm working which is why I thought its bipolar disorder 2. It's hard to find a psychiatrist. I've called so many and we can't get an appointment. They're booked. They only allow him to make the appointment. How can I get him to a psychiatrist faster?
Answered by Dr. Saatiish Jhuntrraa 21 minutes later
Brief Answer: If there is a danger of harm ,you can see a psychi Detailed Answer: Hello The psychiatrists in ER must have assessed the threat of violence pretty low so they gave you this advice. Your options are limited then. You have to wait for your appointment and discuss the whole issue with him. There are many options available . He can be put on Depot Preparations of Abilify (once a month preparation), or Respidal (once fortnightly) and similarly others. These are used for patients not willing to take medicines. We always try to accommodate somebody having genuine problem. In addition, he may be added Depakote. There can be no way you can take him to a psychiatrist faster except if there is a threat of violence or there is a danger of harm to you or other family member. DR SAATIISH JHUNTRRAA
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor