Suggest treatment for BPD

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Thu, 21 Aug 2014 in Eating Disorders
Question: many of the symptoms of BPD explain my life thus far much to my relief and distress, rage triggers, frantic efforts to avoid rejection, paranoia (intermittent i suspect) devalue others after idolising them, impulsive . . . i suspect have been managing these symptoms all my life i can trace back to my 20s, no trauma such as violent abuse i am sure but perhaps neglect of a highly sensitive child unintended and certainly severe stress in adulthood (by my definition anyway), startle easily, need lots of quiet time, some symptoms don't fit such as afraid of being left alone - i actually value time on my own, but at the same time i have reacted badly in the past to rejection and i do fear it very much, don;t know where i begin and others end much of the time, have been easily influenced or caught up, i am finding it harder to cope with everyday life at the pace i am living it and my pace is slow compared to others i realize but even this pace seems too much
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes these are the BPD symptoms

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for using healthcaremagic.

From the available description it appears to me that you meet criteria for borderline personality disorder but before making a self diagnosis it is always better to seek help from professional.

Any person with these symptoms is required to rule out two conditions which share many similarities with BPD.
1. Bipolar disorder
2. ADHD

Having said this there is no need to worry. Recently one special kind of psychotherapy is doing good favor to individuals who suffer from BPD. The therapy is known as dialectical behavior therapy with mindfullness. You can find a psychotherapist in your nearby area who expertise's in such kind of therapy.

With adequate determination, motivation and help from the professional a large amount of stress can be reduced which help the individual to move forward in life.

So at this moment I suggest you to see a psychologist or psychiatrist who can talk to you to rule out the two above mentioned conditions and take you for dialectical behavior therapy.

'Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help".
Thanks

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari