Suggest treatment for Alzheimer's disease

Dr. Sonia Raina

Posted on Fri, 16 Oct 2015 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: is there any treatment, cure for alzheimer anywhere globally???
Answered by Dr. Sonia Raina 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
no cure, drugs only delay progression

Detailed Answer:
Hello, greetings!
I am sorry to say that there has no cure invented for alzheimer's globally. There are medicines available which will only delay the progression of this condition or provide temporary relief.

There are two classes of drugs available to delay the progression of this condition. They are:-
1. Acetylcholinesterase inhibitors like Donepezil, Rivastigmine and Galantamine
2. NMDA receptor antagonists like memantine

Antipsychotic drugs are provided to help with behavioral changes. But as I mentioned before, there is no cure for alzheimer's and it is a gradually progressive disorder.

Hope I answered all your queries. If you have any other doubts please feel free to ask me, or else please close the question and rate the answer.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad