Suggest treatment for Afib and heart stroke

Question
My step father is 84 years old and had a stoke resulting in inability to swallow, respond, right side does not move. We placed him in hospice care. He has afib and his heart rate is about 160 to 170 beats per minute and he is not being given fluids and he cannot take his Plavix. How long should I expect him to survive? I am thinking a week at most...
Posted Sat, 23 Aug 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Detail Follows.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Friend.
Welcome to HCM.
I am Dr Anshul Varshney. I understand your concern.
See, no doubt he is serious and in critical state. But with your description i can make diagnosis that he is having:
1. Left MCA infarction with Right side hemiparesis.
2. Atrial Fibrillation is the cause.
In such situation, if Afib is controlled, and he doesn't develop in other cardiac complication and infection, he can improve.
Usually death with these condition occurs due to Silent Ischemic Heart Attack and also due to secondary infections due to bed ridden state.
If you could share with me about his general condition and his blood pressure, consciousness level and investigations, i can guide you better.
If you have any further query, please ask me.
Wish him a speedy recovery.
Stay Healthy.

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for Afib and heart stroke 5 hours later
He is not responsive and unable to swallow. He is recieving no fluids or medications except an occasional shot of pain medication if he grimaces when he is repositioned. The nurse only said that his blood pressure is high. He is going to die. But I am wondering how long you think he can last? He is total care.

Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Detail Follows.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Friend.
I understand your worry.
But I don't think that your doctors are not giving any fluid or nutrition through any means.
If that is so he won't survive much.
We are no one to decide the time frame. That's the God's will.
But in general the condition you are describing is not good. He may just last a week.
I suppose you should discuss with your doctor once again about his care.
I as a doctor fight to save my patient till the patient is brain dead. And I have saved many critical patients with sincere and serious efforts.
So I can't give you any time line.
If you have any further query feel free to ask me.
Good Luck.