Suggest treatment for Adenoid

Posted on Sat, 28 May 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: my child is 11 years old . He is suffering from ADENOID ,fluid in the ear and septum deviation . and hearing problem .DOCTOR ADVISED to do all three surgeries together should we do it together . my doubt is that septum deviation is necessary to do in this age?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
DNS can be left in place unless associated with major obstructive symptoms

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through the details. It seems that the three problems are actually the part of the same problem. Your child seems to have a poor immunity which predisposes him to catching cold frequently. The poor immunity is actually linked to the poor functioning of the adenoids which are lymphoid organs which should have contributed to the immunity. But the lack of proper functioning has made it enlarge. The deviated nasal septum has added to the problem. In combined effect the tube that connects the inner throat to the middle ear, has got blocked, thus leading to the pressure differences in the ear which in turn leads to the hearing problem.

As of now, I would insist on getting the adenoids removed. This should ease the situation and with minimal medication the ear problems should resolve. It is based on this outcome that further planning of the ear related intervention can be done. You can leave the deviated nasal septum in place unless it is causing significant obstruction and snoring.

In short, I would suggest a graded or step by step approach.

Hope that helps.

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha