• question-icon

Suggest treatment for ADHD

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in Mental Health
Question: Hello, I am a 43 yo female who takes Evekeo 10 mg bid for ADHD. A few days ago I started taking the workout supplement creatine monohydrate ( 5 grams/day). Is there any interaction between the two I should be aware of? Or will the creatine possibly alter the way my body metabolizes the Evekeo. I taken evokeo for about 3 months and it usually tapers off right at about 5 afters I take each dose. For the few days I've taken creatine, it seems to last longer, up to 10 hours. I am healthy, have no history of any kidney issues and had routine labs CBC, CMP and Lipid profile done in the past month with all of it being normal. The only other medication I take is maxalt 10 mg as needed for migraines but I haven't had to take that in around 6 wks. I wouldn't imagine just a few days of creatine would alter my creatinine clearance to the point that it would affect my metabolism of the evekeo, but I can come up with anything else to explain this. thanks
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Both can cause dehydration

Detailed Answer:
Dear Ms, I have gone through your question and I understand your concerns but both drugs are not reported to interact each other's action. however both can cause the side effect of dehydration. in cases of dehydration the kidney function will be reflexly decreased to avoid further loss of body fluids .. that explains why the effect will last longer as its clearance will be decreased. I would recommend that you keep yourself adequately hydrated through the day with at least 10-12 cups daily to avoid negative effect on the kidney function.. Also I would recommend that you get a monthly check on your kidney function tests . I hope I answered your question.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 1 hour later
That does answer my question and makes perfect sense. I don't consume nearly enough water. Thank you so much for your recommendation and quick response
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It has been pleasure helping you

Detailed Answer:
you are welcome , please kindly rate the answer.. kind regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Salah Saad Shoman