• question-icon

Suggest treatment for ADHD

Posted on Wed, 5 Jul 2017 in Child Health
Question: Apparently I have not been able clarify my questions.....I have a daughter with severe ADHD who has been in many programs, on medication and I am still struggling. I, personally, plus my daughter are looking for some actual help. She is almost 13 and the hormones have kicked her into another level. Please stop responding with flat advice I could google. I have had 3 contacts and received zero insite.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Cognitive behavioral therapy and medicines should help.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. I completely understand that the problems lie unresolved. But you need to understand that you should not be on the lookout for 'cure' of ADHD. Rather, the condition has to be dealt with. Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT)is a form of psychotherapy (administered by psychologists) which will help her cope better with her problems. The psychologist will also be able to administer behavior modification therapy which should ease the situation. In case of severity, you would also need to see a psychiatrist who could treat her with medicines like metamphetamine which could bring down the intensity of her symptoms. An individualized education plan (IEP) with help from special educators might also be required.

There is no easy way out of ADHD and being in a perplexing situation is justified. I have given you the broad headings. The individual components cannot be administered online as a personal touch and detailed correlation with the internal details is needed.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 23 hours later
First, thank you for responding. My daughter has been on medications and met with many psychological avenues. She participated in a S.E.D. program in one of the top schools here in XXXXXXX

We continue to struggle daily.I have NEVER thought this would be an easy road nor am I looking for an immediate cure, just insite that I might not heard before.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The devil is in the details.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back. I definitely understand that you know that the journey would not be easy and that you are not looking for shortcuts. I also understand that the mentioned steps or their variants have already been tried and you are looking for something that could appear to be more insightful. But I am quite sure that the doctors, psychologists as well as psychiatrists have already offered you treatment in the best lines that we know of. In such a situation more insights would not be something gross and new but how effectively the services can be delivered after understanding the intricacies of her case. So, the solution does not lie in 'something that you have not heard before' but in more effective delivery of 'things you have known about' and careful correlation about how she responds to what.

I hope you understand.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 21 minutes later
it's too bad you left me on my own
Brief Answer:
I would like to help but..

Detailed Answer:
Its not that I want to leave you on your own. I want to help. But I can take a bird's eye view and can give you directions. But the intricacies still need to be dealt with and that can only be handled by somebody on spot.

I hope you would understand. In case you have any doubts or queries regarding any individual component, please revert back and I will surely try to help you out.

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician