Suggest treatment for ADHD in children

Dr. Arun

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Tue, 20 Oct 2015 in Child Health
Question: My grandson will be 4 in November. He is immature for his age, will pee on the potty but when he has to poop he asks for a diaper. He refuses to poop on the toilet. He doesn't listen, he runs away and laughs as you yell to him to stop. His parents put him in time out but he laughs at that too and won't stay still. He says sorry but doesn't seem to understand what it means and doesn't understand the consequences of his actions. He is in pre-school but doesn't listen to the teacher or sit still at lunch (won't sit still at meals at home either). He jumps on the furniture at home and is very active. On the other hand he is very bright and knows his alphabet and can count to 30. He plays very well by himself and likes to watch some children's shows on XXXXXXX jr. He can be very sweet. He also has been going to speech therapy for over a year because he wasn't speaking well or had language that was age appropriate. He talks better now but does not yet have the vocabulary or conversational skills of other children his age. He will suddenly just start crying for o reason. His parents and I are baffled and worried. They are good parents and I can't see anything they have done in raising him that would lead to his bad behavior. If you threaten to spank him he just laughs. He doesn't play well with others yet but loves being around other children. What can be wrong with him? We're really worried.
Answered by Dr. Arun 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
will settle down give him a few more months

Detailed Answer:
Hi
I really understand your grandson s behaviour.
Many kids of his age have issues like your grandson.
If he is good at studies with speech therapy improving him you need not worry.
Just talk to him repeatedly how bad you feel when he misbehaves.
These temper tantrums would start decreasing in the next few months.
If no improvement consult a pediatric psychiatrist to get him assessed for ADHD.
If the assessment fulfils the criteria he might benefit from medication like ritalin ( At 5 years).
Dont give up.
Keep talking and explaining.
I am sure you will find improvement.
Wishing your grandson good health.
Dr Arun
Follow up: Dr. Arun 41 hours later
I don't think he has ADHD. He doesn't show all of the symptoms - for example he's fine sitting quietly and playing by himself. We just feel like he doesn't get what we're talking to him about. He doesn't really understand what time out is. I hope it is just a maturity thing but that's what we thought for a while and he doesn't seem to getting any better. Other chidren his age just seem so much more mature and better behaved. My daughter spkoe to the case manager at his pre-school and she is going to sit and observe him in the classroom and we'll see what she thinks. We're just so worried about him. Thanks for yout time,
Answered by Dr. Arun 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
He should improve

Detailed Answer:
I do hope it is temper issues which will improve.
Do observe him in school and keep talking to him.
He should get better.