Suggest treatment for ADHD in a child

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Fri, 10 Mar 2017 in Mental Health
Question: I can't finish anything I start. I'm frustrated that I can't focus and from what I've read, I may have ADHD. I saw a physiatrist as a child and was diagnosed as such but never received treatment. My job is suffering and my friends have begun to treat me as a person that can be counted on to start something but never finish.
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I think there is need for assessment and treatment

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I read your query and understand your concerns.

If I consider the mentioned problems (not able to finish any task, difficulty in concentration, inability to sustain at task) along with age of onset the ADHD is the only diagnosis which can be considered. Sustained problems over the last 20 years again indicates this is ADHD which have been continuing in adult age.

However I feel it should be get assessed before concluding anything in this regard because even the depression, dysthymia and many other disorders can present in similar manner. The evaluation is also important as this will help in deterring the best possible solution for the ongoing ADHD.

In my opinion the delay should be stopped and you should see a psychiatrist for proper evaluation and treatment. This is important as delay in diagnosis and treatment is likely to complicate problem rather than helping in any regard.

I hope this helps you.
If you have more questions I will be glad to assist you further.
If you do not have more questions, please close the discussion and if possible rate the answer for my future patients.

In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:
http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-ashok-kumar/67386
Thanks and regards.