Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

189 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment for ADHD in a child

Answered by
Dr. Ashok Kumar


Practicing since :2000

Answered : 2912 Questions

Posted on Fri, 10 Mar 2017 in Mental Health
Question: I can't finish anything I start. I'm frustrated that I can't focus and from what I've read, I may have ADHD. I saw a physiatrist as a child and was diagnosed as such but never received treatment. My job is suffering and my friends have begun to treat me as a person that can be counted on to start something but never finish.
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I think there is need for assessment and treatment

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I read your query and understand your concerns.

If I consider the mentioned problems (not able to finish any task, difficulty in concentration, inability to sustain at task) along with age of onset the ADHD is the only diagnosis which can be considered. Sustained problems over the last 20 years again indicates this is ADHD which have been continuing in adult age.

However I feel it should be get assessed before concluding anything in this regard because even the depression, dysthymia and many other disorders can present in similar manner. The evaluation is also important as this will help in deterring the best possible solution for the ongoing ADHD.

In my opinion the delay should be stopped and you should see a psychiatrist for proper evaluation and treatment. This is important as delay in diagnosis and treatment is likely to complicate problem rather than helping in any regard.

I hope this helps you.
If you have more questions I will be glad to assist you further.
If you do not have more questions, please close the discussion and if possible rate the answer for my future patients.

In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:
Thanks and regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  

Recent questions on  Dysthymia

doctor1 MD

I have been using a low dose (.37mg) of Xanax only at night for chronic insomnia and mild anxiety for a number of years and 1 Fioracet daily for arthritis (my stomach will not tolerate anti-inflamatories). Could that contribute to dysthymia? I am...

doctor1 MD

I am 44 year old male. I am suffering from heavy stomoch and gas problem for a long time..I also have mental depressive symptoms for the last 15 years..and feels lack of strength and support around neck area.. please suggest medical or any other effective treatment

doctor1 MD

I'm a female 33 yrs of age. I'm suffering from PCOD for the past 5 years and hormonal imbalances for the past 2 years..I am an above average woman but recently for the past some years I'm affected with chronic symptoms of guilt,fear and frequently...

doctor1 MD

I am a true codependent married 6 times and still have worries at 64 years old that I may make this mistake again. I have been diagnosed with having dysthymia which stems from growing up. I am a mild dysthemic person. At 64 and retired I don t want to make any more mistakes. Having had therapy for 12 and a half years I am at my wits end. This all goes back to my memory at 2 years old. Can you help me? At this point I am very frightened. I am a Christian. There are on going dependencies between all these ridiculous marriages and I don t want to live alone. please help me! I have maintained excellent credit and should be very dependent. Help!

doctor1 MD

my daughter has been diagnosed with dysthymia, she went to counseling for 6 months but doesn t want to go anymore. she is prescribed medicine and i make sure she takes it everyday. i would like to know if there is anything else i can do to help her, i can tell she is in and out of depression daily.....but won t talk about it. she keeps everything to herself. what should i do? how can i help her?

doctor1 MD

I have been diagnosed with dysthymia and looking to conquer that. I see that looking at what lights you up, gets you energized and do work you enjoy/love remedies it and Dr Julie Orlov also agrees. what are your thoughts. I feel lost and disconnected often