• question-icon

Suggest treatment for ACL tear and medial meniscus tear

Posted on Tue, 27 Oct 2015 in Back Pain
Question: I had a traumatic knee injury resulting in acl tear and associated small longitudinal menuscus tear and minimally displaced fractrure. I want to know the best options and my future risk of OA. Also my chance of avoiding acl surgery but take a meniscus surgery.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Surgical repair is needed.

Detailed Answer:
I have seen the attached report. Both ACL tear and medial meniscus tear need a surgical repair as these do not normally heal with rest and conservative treatment. After these are repaired there is every chance of normal healing of the fracture.
There is no way to avoid the surgery. It is the best option for you.
The chances of developing osteoarthritis after 15-20 years is present. It is best to do regular knee strengthening exercises after it has healed completely.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks doctor , what is your opinion on atograft vs allograft? In case of autograft will the graft surgical wound heal fully ? Are fractures in my case also surgically corrected or do they heal on their own ? And finally do i need a meniscal repair or menisectomy based on my report ?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Allograft will be better in early healing.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Allograft is more easy and and will show an early healing. Even surgical wound after autograft will also heal in few weeks.
Since the fracture is minimally displaced there is no need for a surgical repair. The fracture will heal on its own. The decision of meniscal repair or removal depends on the extent of tear. If the tear is small and not full thickness then repair can be done.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon