Suggest treatment for 5mm polyps
Request you to attach colonoscopy report scanned copy please
Thanks for writing in to us.
I have read through your query in detail.
Please find my observations below.
1. Polyps are finger like projections arising from the luminal wall and might be seen in most organs with a central cavity.
2. At 5 mm most polyps are not cancerous however to give you an accurate answer please send details of the polyp including its location and the symptoms it is causing. It is important to know if your doctor has taken a biopsy from the polyp and if other family members have polyp disease in colon.
3. It appears that your polyp is in the colon, please send complete scanned copy of the colonoscopy report so that I can discuss your problem in detail.
Please take blood in stool test every year and colonoscopy every 5 yrs
Thanks for writing back with an update.
1. Polyps 5 mm or less in size have an extremely low chance of a cancer.
2. Polyps with a diameter of 5 to 10 mm are considered small, whereas polyps greater than 10 mm in diameter are considered large.
3. Polyps larger than 2 cm in diameter have a 50 percent chance of developing in to a cancer.
4. If 5 mm polyps have been found then there is no need to panic but you should wait for the histopathology report. Most likely it will show a benign pathology.
5. Since you had blood in stools, you might have to take
(i) stool occult blood test every year and
(ii) colonoscopy every five years
Hope your query is answered.
Do write back if you have any doubts.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Treatment for tounge polyps
- Treatment cystic polyps ovary
- Suggest treatment for ocd treatment
- Suggest the treatment for polyps in bladder
- Gingival polyp treatment and medication
- Suggest treatment for uti when on treatment for dementia
- Suggest treatment for face swelling following dental treatment
- Gallbladder treatment of polyps or cyst
- Suggest treatment for polyp inspite of surgery
- Suggest treatment for low fever with productive cough treatment
- Done with CAT scan and ultrasound. Taking Testosterone. Ultrasound...
- Scheduled for fusion of vertebeae and laminectomy. Should I go ahead...
- Fell down and hurt chest. What are the findings in the x-ray report?
- Is there any treatment to increase the size of penis?
- Had a history of colon cancer and had bowel resection. Left butt is...
- Swollen lymph nodes under arms and groin hurts and have sores. Could...
- Suffered arachnoid hemorrhage after head injury. Suffer constant...
- What is the cause for itchy underarms?
- On warfarin for PE. Having bleeding from rectum. Should I go to the ER?
- Taking amoxicillin for sinus infection. Slight fluctuations in...