Suggest treatment foe stye in eyes and ear infection

Dr. M Y Shareef

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 21 Oct 2014 in Lump
Question: Hi .

I got stye in eyes about 1 mont ago .After 3 days my eyes was good but i got a swollen lymph in front of my earlobe. My lymph node is not going down and it already been like 1 month. i have seen like 5 doctor here in canada. 1 of the doctor treated me for strep throat and 2 of them is treated me for ear infection. I feel like i have some problem with my throat because some time i feel like i have something in my throat specially when i try to swallow my saliva. In last 1 month my doctors gave me Penicilline VX for my strep throat and ciprofloxin ear drop for my ear. I also noticed that i am getting burp since last 2 weeks and i Feel like there is something in the left side of my stomach. The doctor told me it can be acid reflux and he referred me to an ENT specialist. Sometime i feel like i have something in my throat and sometime i feel mild pain when eat something. I dont have any pain in my lymph node but sometime it feel warm. It is very small in size. When i went to the ENT specialist he said said he can't feel an lymph node.

My lymph node went down for last 6-7 days but today again i felt like it again gain some size. I had my blood test and x ray of my neck and it came back normal.

My doctor also told me that i can have acid reflux as i am getting burp since last 15 days.Right now i am using an antacid .

Since last 5 day i am feeling really warm on the left side of the face specially near the lymph node.
what should i do now? Still i am feeling like stiffness in my neck.
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Might need some more investigations.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX ! Good morning. I am Dr Shareef, a general surgeon answering your query.

As you have already visited so many doctors including an ENT specialist during this period, I am not going to advise you with more medications.

If I were your doctor, I would advise you for an anti septic gargle like a betadine gargle two to three times a day, which might relieve your throat problems due to any possible persistent infection. In addition, I would also advise you for a throat swab culture and sensitivity test for choosing the most appropriate antibiotic for the persisting infection. In case of persistence of the lymph node or increase in the size, I would suggest an FNAC(fine needle aspiration cytology) followed possibly by an excision biopsy if indicated, and further management of this problem would depend on the histopathology report.

On the problem of your stomach, I would advise to get it clinically examined by your doctor, followed by an ultrasound of abdomen if need be. Also if you eat from outside frequently, please try to avoid it completely as intestinal infections could creep in to create such gastric and intestinal symptoms. You could go for a routine stool test for ova and cyst, and get it treated if positive.

On the GERD front, you could try the following:

1) Elevate the head end of the bed with two blocks on each side, so that the regurgitation does not occur while lying down, and the contents of esophagus and stomach flow down with gravity.
2) Some modification in your diet like more of roughage, enough liquids, avoidance of oily, fried, and fast food
3) Regular routine exercises like morning walk depending on your medical fitness.
4) Prescription for a prokinetic agent and a proton pump inhibitor for symptomatic relief and to have a control on the acid production and facilitate movement of gastric contents downwards.
5) In case of persistent of your GERD symptoms, you could take an appointment with a gastro enterologist in your area and get it reviewed by him.

I hope this information would help you in discussing with your family physician/treating doctor in further management of your problem. Please do not hesitate to ask in case of any further doubts.

Thanks for choosing health care magic to clear doubts on your health problems. I wish you an early recovery. Dr Shareef.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. M Y Shareef 13 minutes later
Good Morning,

Thanks for your reply Doctor.

i don't have 2 molar teeth since last 1 year. Can this also cause swollen lymph node.The size of the lymph node will be like 0.5cm(the problem with the molar teeth and lymph node is on the same side).

Since last 4-5 day i am avoiding all acidic food , drinking thrice ginger water , doing running and everything. Now no burp is coming and i am feeling slightly better.Now there is no pain in my throat. But still i feel like there is something in my throat.

Now i going to see a dentist on tuesday.

Thanks

Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, your dental problem could be the culprit.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX ! Nice to listen from you so soon.

Yes, it the dental problem of yours on which did not comment early could be the culprit for your persisting recurrent lymph node. I hope this problem would be solved by the Dentist now.

It is good that you have maintained a healthy life style, and your stomach problems have improved.

Please get into touch with your ENT specialist for your throat problem, and discuss with him on the test I mentioned earlier.

Thanks and good luck. Dr Shareef.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. M Y Shareef 48 hours later

My doctor is requested for helicobacter pylori test(as i am getting lot of burp everyday. If i am not burping i feel like some air is struck in my throat). And he referred me to some other ENT specialist. I told him that i want a endoscopy test for my self.

I am also going to see dentist tomorrow.

My doctor also gave me eardrop for fungal infection.

Thanks.

Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Endoscopy if the GERD persists.

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Good afternoon.

If your burping and digestive problem like GERD persist, you could as well go for an endoscopy and helicobacter pylori test. If positive, the treatment might relieve you of the GERD symptoms.

Thanks. All the best.

Dr Shareef.