Suggest treatment and diet plan for a diabetic

Dr. Abhay A Mali

Diabetologist

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 in Diabetes
Question: Hi Doctor,
Recently, I have done wellness profile and found that I am diabetic.
Please advise the treatment, diet instructions, exercise regimen, and any additional diagnostic tests, if necessary.
Answered by Dr. Abhay A Mali 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You need Life style Modification and Anti-diabetic medicines.

Detailed Answer:
Hi xxxxxxxx,

Thanks for your question.

After going through your question & test reports, I can understand your concern.

In such situation I would have recommended-

* Life Style modification :
- Weight: Try to maintain healthy Body Mass Index (BMI) below 23, if possible.

- Diet:
. Follow calories & fat restricted diet.
. For XXXXXXX men with diabetes 1800 kcal diet is recommended.
. Increase in intake of fruits, green leafy vegetables, salads.
. Avoid Junk food, empty calories like soft drinks.
. For better Diet advise, I would have recommended to consult near by dietitian who can plan diet for you considering your BMI & food habits.

- Exercise: At least 150 min per week of moderate physical exercise like brisk walking, yoga, swimming is recommended.

* Medicine for blood sugar control:
. Metformin is a first line drug in the treatment of Type 2 Diabetes, accepted world wide.
. In such case I would have advised Tab containing Metformin to start with a small dose to dose of 1500 mg per day at the end of week.
. With advise to repeat fasting & postprandial blood glucose level after 4 to 6 weeks, accordingly changes in dose of metformin or addition of another antidiabetic medicine can be considered.

* Medicine for Lipids:
. I would have advised Tab containing Atorvastatin 10 mg at bed time and if it is tolerated then to continue it for life long (if there is no side effects or contraindications).
Dose of atorvastain may need to be changed depending upon Lipid profile in future.
. For diabetic male LDL cholesterol should be below 100 & HDL cholesterol should be above 35.

All other test results are within normal limits.

It will be better for you to consult near by Diabetologist for detailed clinical examination.

Hope this helps you.

Dr. Abhay Mali.
Diabetologist.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D