Suggest treatment alternative to surgery for treating large meniscus tear in the left knee

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 3 Sep 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I am 70 years old. Two weeks ago I was walking and turned quickly and felt a "pop" in my left knee. No swelling but some pain and the pain has continued. It is more severe in the left side of the left knee when I get up from sitting and then it improves. Mild soreness . I had an MRI 5 days ago of the left knee. Here is what the MRI says: "There is a large complex tear of the posterior horn and body of the medial meniscus with markedly truncated appearance of the posterior horn. There is a cleavage componant of the tear extending into the anterior horn. Subtle displaced meniscal flap over the anterior horn body junction is also suspected." I care for my 93 year old mom and I cant be incapacitated unless I have to. Id like to know if I have to have surgery. Is there any other way to treat this?? Please give me some options other than surgery
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Detail below.

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through your query and concern,meniscus tear if large ,as in your case, will not heal without surgery.
If you go for surgery than you should go for arthroscopic surgery ,in this recovery is very fast.
If you want to avoid surgery than you can do hot fomentation ,physiotherapy and take diacerine 50 mg BD for three month,inj cortizone or you can take aceclofenac and paracetamol 2-3 times daily for pain.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 55 minutes later
What kind of physical therapy would be helpful? Would it make my condition worse?? Doctor, what would be the purpose of physical therapy? Also does heat or ice help more?? Would it be ok to walk for exercise???
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Physical therapy will help.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for writing again.
You can start with quadriceps drill to strengthen the muscles around the knee joint. The strengthened muscles will help in decreasing the load on the knee. Wearing a pair of knee supports for an extra support will also help. A hot compress is a better option as it will relax any muscle spasm also.
You can walk for an exercise but avoid climbing stairs, running or walking on a uphill surface.

Hope my answer is helpful.

Take care,
Dr. Praveen Tayal