Suggest treatment after bitten by a brown recluse

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Sat, 3 Sep 2016 in Infections
Question: I think I might have been bit by a brown recluse. I have been bit once before and it looks very similar. It looks to be a small spider bite, but i am not sure if I should be concerned or try to treat it at home.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
About brown recluse spider bite wounds.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

I'm sorry you were bit by a brown recluse. Home care treatment of washing with soap and water and applying an antibiotic ointment is often adequate, and acetaminophen (Tylenol) for pain. However, it is recommended to have a doctor check the wound every day for 3-4 days because brown recluse spider bites cause necrosis (dying of surrounding tissues) and when this happens, the doctor needs to remove the dead tissue and watch for infection. So that's the standard that is recommended.

So, that is the recommendation. I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can provide further information.