Suggest treatmemt to prevent unwanted facial hair

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Prevent unwanted facial hair
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Go for Laser hair reduction

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to Healthcaremagic

I am Dr. Kakkar. I have gone through your query.

First and foremost, excess facial hair OR Hirsutism require investigation for any underlying hormonal abnormality if it clinically suspected (e.g history of irregularity of menstural cycles)and even if the cycles are regular, it is routine to go for a few blood tests to look for any underlying hormonal abnormality:

The following tests are advisable: Serum Testosterone, Serum DHEAS (Dihydroepiandrostenedione sulphate), Serum LH/FSH, Serum Prolactin, Pelvic ultrasound for polycystic ovaries.

Laser hair reduction (LHR) is a very safe and reliable way for facial hair reduction. Coarse facial hair in females (Hirsutism) can be safely and effectively reduced by LASER

Normally 6-8 sittings will give you a good hair reduction. The hair will become finer, the density will decrease and thereby greatly reduced. It is the FDA approved for hair reduction and gives long lasting results.

You can also use a cream containing eflornithine hydrochloride (Elyn cream), twice daily along with laser. It inhibit the hair metabolism and slows the rate of hair growth

take care