Suggest treatmemt for insomnia

Psychiatrist
Question
I need an over the counter sleep aide that works as well as ambien, Any suggestions?
Posted Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Suggestions given...

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

Most OTC sleeping aids contain anti-histamines as the main ingredient. There are other sleeping aids which contain Melatonin (a hormone that regulates sleep). Then, you have the herbal supplements like Valerin, etc. Unfortunately, none of these would be 'as effective' as Ambien or any other prescription sedative medication.

Among the OTC choices you have I would suggest that you try Vitafusion - Sleepwell. This contains Melatonin as well as herbal extracts such as Passion Flower , Chamomile, etc.

I would personally suggest that you avoid the anti-histamine-containing ones, since they have a tendency to become ineffective after a temporary period (and there is a potential for habituation as well).

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar MBBS., DPM., MRCPsych (U.K.)
Consultant Psychiatrist