Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

147 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatmemt for hyperplasia of parathyroid glands

Answered by
Dr. Raju A.T

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2008

Answered : 3687 Questions

Posted on Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: I have hyperplasia of all four parathyroid glands and am having symptoms of some depression, "foggy
thinking", muscle weakness, forgetfulness, etc. My calcium level fluctuates between 11.9 and 12.2 or so and the parathyroid hormone is around 111 to 135. I am an N.P. and trying to find the correct treatment. So far I'm taking in 1200 mg of Calcium and 2k units of Vit D. daily and doing weight bearing exercises. At first, thought the best tx. would be to monitor it, however, I'm now considering surgery to remove 3 1/2 glands. What is your opinion? Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Continue the medication

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your query.

With the levels of calcium and PTh hormone as you mentioned, I believe surgery may not be needed. This can get corrected over time with the supplements you are on.

Hyperplasia, if not malignancy should be treated with medications only, surgery can result in hypoparathyroidism which can have bad effects than present condition. Surgery is reserved to cancerous conditions alone.

Hope, I answered your query.

Wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  
Medical Topics ,  

Recent questions on  Muscle weakness

doctor1 MD

Treated for a UTI 5 days of anti biotics, blood in urine went from large amount to moderate. tested two days after anti biotics were done and now a large amount shows up again. Also pain in ribs and lower back. Was sick with flu like symptoms for a day and a half. Fatigue, muscle weakness.

doctor1 MD

My husband will not see a doctor, and I worry about him. He has shortness of breath, cannot fall asleep with his head down (props up on elbow), fatigue, but not constantly, obesity, flatulance. very frequent urination and I forgot to say thigh muscle weakness..difficulty rising from a chair.

doctor1 MD

Hi, may I answer your health queries right now ? Please type your query here... For over a year I have had pain in my luq (my gastroenterologist thinks it is subcutaneous nerve entrapment). I have also had episodes of dark urine, diarhhea and/or very light colored stools. The episodes are becoming more frequent. I am a 57 year old female trying to decide when/if I should go back to the doctor. I do not have insurance, so I don't want to see the doctor if it is stress or normal aging. I also experience muscle weakness in my right arm on occassion. I'd like a doctor's opinion.

doctor1 MD

Hello doc. Here are my signs and symptoms. Asymmetrical reflexes. Ankle clonus left ankle. Slight sensory variations. Muscle weakness, twitches, fatigue, lump on thyroid. EMG normal, MRI says not MS. In the process of being referred to an endocrinologist. Any thoughts as to what is wrong with me?

doctor1 MD

is the a connection between CIPD and fibromyalgia?

doctor1 MD

I have spells where my whole body seems to go imp and I feel lke I am going to faint. I have no pain anyplace when this happens but I cant moven as I am just to week. I can think, but I cant control my body until this goes away and it only lasts a...

doctor1 MD

Hi. I’m 20 years old, female. I have been having many problems for the past 5 months now. I didn’t have a primary care doctor at this time so when these things would happen I would go to the ER. At first, I would get really shaky, feel like I was...