Suggest treatmemt for hyperplasia of parathyroid glands

Question
I have hyperplasia of all four parathyroid glands and am having symptoms of some depression, "foggy
thinking", muscle weakness, forgetfulness, etc. My calcium level fluctuates between 11.9 and 12.2 or so and the parathyroid hormone is around 111 to 135. I am an N.P. and trying to find the correct treatment. So far I'm taking in 1200 mg of Calcium and 2k units of Vit D. daily and doing weight bearing exercises. At first, thought the best tx. would be to monitor it, however, I'm now considering surgery to remove 3 1/2 glands. What is your opinion? Thank you.
Posted Sun, 3 Aug 2014 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Continue the medication

Detailed Answer:

With the levels of calcium and PTh hormone as you mentioned, I believe surgery may not be needed. This can get corrected over time with the supplements you are on.

Hyperplasia, if not malignancy should be treated with medications only, surgery can result in hypoparathyroidism which can have bad effects than present condition. Surgery is reserved to cancerous conditions alone.

Hope, I answered your query.

Wish you good health.