Suggest treatmemnt for pain in lower rib

Dr. Shruti Rijhwani

Rheumatologist

Posted on Tue, 2 Sep 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Mild to moderate pain just under lower left rib, sometimes feels like it's in my back, started intermittently for about a week. Yesterday I felt very lethargic and began having dull aches in my arms, especially forearms, and down my legs, especially the thigh, knee and ankle area. I've taken Tylenol to help me sleep and hope to awaken with it gone with a good nights sleep, but it's back. If vacuuming is an exercise, then that's my regiment - nothing strenuous.

I've recently lost 50 lbs on Medifast meal replacements through Take Shape for Life and had been feeling good since I started the health program the end of February. I am within 10 lbs of my goal.
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Follows.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Madam ,

Thank you for posting your query on HCM.

Well looking into your problem I would like to tell you that since there is no history of swelling on any joint it is unlikely to be arthritis . I think it could be due to metabolic abnormality as there is a history that you have also lost weight .

You should get Calcium , vitamin D , Vitamin B 12 levels , S. TSH , T3 , T4 levels , CPK . Rest if any kind of swelling is there then the investigation plan will change .

Dr. Shruti

Follow up: Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 50 minutes later
Doctor,
After I sent the first message, I tried to get dressed. Was nearly successful but began to feel nauseated followed by light headed. I got into the bathroom half dressed and heard ringing in my ears and my visual field began to darken. I sat down on the floor abruptly, clammy and barely able to call out for help. My husband stayed with me until I felt able to stand with his assistance.

I napped for about an hour while he stayed in the room with me. I never actually lost consciousness, but I did years ago so I knew the signs and tried to avoid injury.

If you're not familiar with Medifast meal replacements that were prescribed and provided to patients for 30 years, they are now available with a health coach on-line. 5 of my 6 meals a day are low glycemic but full of my daily requirement of vitamins and minerals. I eat a lean meat and veggies or green salad for dinner. I'm drinking 8 glasses of water a day.

When I awakened, aching moved around my limbs to remind me they are getting odd electric signals, and my fingers were very cold. My hair and clothes were dried out.

One significant symptom I failed to mention, is that my mid to lower back has become increasingly fatigued. Sometimes I have to sit down to rest it. I've never been treated for a back injury and last test for bone density was excellent.

I thought by eating healthy, drinking water and losing weight I would be feeling so much more energized, and I was until the fatigue began, intermittent throbbing under my rib, and today my inability to function.

Sorry I am providing so much information but now you have a complete picture.
XXXX

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follows.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Madam,

Thanks for reverting back.

Did you check your sugar levels at the time you felt like collapsing , hypoglycemia can lead to this . From all the information you are giving I feel that the weight loss is the main culprit and even you take adequate vitamins but still the foods are low glycemic . It can be the one cause because carbohydrates are the fuel for body so lacking in these must be resulting in all this .

So its important to pause your diet schedule and return to normal and then see if you feel improvement in your symptoms.

Dr. Shruti