question-icon

Suggest treatmemnt for gastroparesis

Posted on Thu, 11 Sep 2014
Question: I am a 40 y/o female, living in XXXXXXX 5'1, 130lbs. I have had a total thyroidectomy(cancer),2011 and total hysterectomy, 2009. My immediate issue is my severe gastroparesis due to a total colectomy(Oct2007/Ostomy reversal Dec2007) stemming from UC. After almost 7 years of vomitting 1-10x daily and various failed medications, normally given for gastroparsis, I am scheduled to have a gastric jejunostomy in 3 weeks. My concern is the exacerbation of my already problematic nutrient deficiency/dehydration. What options am I missing - permanent port perhaps? Will something like bowel lengthening would help dumping syndrome since I haven't a colon. In all my googling and chats with my bariatric surgeon to be, who really just deals with the obese and diabetic, I can't seem to find answers, suggestions, or at the very least, a resource or a doctor specializing in cases like mine. Thank you for your time. -XXXX
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar (10 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Speak to GI Transplant surgeon

Detailed Answer:

I know how difficult is it to deal with Gastroparesis and accompanying nutritional deficiency plus dehydration.

The question you post is really difficult to answer for a common practitioner. A lot of research is pending in Gastroparesis. Clinicians are listening to a patients who are doing better with Gastroparesis and taking some good points and exchanging it with others who are still suffering. There is no great research on this. Although breathing exercises, diet and discipline were theoretical. Gastrojejunostomy is the end solution now.

You were asking about Colon transplant. I think you should speak to a GI surgeon who is doing it often.

I found one here.
Dr. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX MD
Transplant Surgery, Surgery &
Gastroenterological Surgery
940 NE 13th St Suite 1000, Oklahoma City, OK 73104

Hope I am of some help to you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli
Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar