Owl Image

Suggest the usage of Pyridium for bladder infection

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
As expressed in my last question. My 89 year old mother has fractured her pelvis. She is in a skilled care nursing home facility, for re-hab.
She has a history of bladder infections. A bladder infection began when she arrived at the facility. She knows from a burning feeling. I brought from home a prescription from home she had left over, from a previous infection. Phenazopyridine, prescribed for 4 days then stop. The facility obtained pyridium.
Somehow an in house doctor at the facility made the length of time to take the pyridium, 10 days. We are now at day 6 of using the pyridium. She is very dried out. Her mouth is so dry it is affecting her appetite. My thought is a UA needs to done now. We may have gotten the benefit of the medicine; hence enduring the side effect is no longer needed.
Your input on this situation is requested??? ....... XXXXXXX
Tue, 12 Aug 2014 in Elderly Problems

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Pyridium is not a antibiotic

Detailed Answer:
I have read your case, And I want to tell you that Pyridium is not a antibiotic, so it is not given for fix duration. It can be given for long time for burning in urine. Dry mouth is not a known side effect of this and most probably is is due to Glucoma medicines.
As far as pyridium is concerned, you can safely discontinue it if she is not having any burning in urine now.
I hope this answer will help you. Let me know if you want to ask any other question.
Thanks.