Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
137 Doctors are Online

Suggest the type of specialist to consult for Vit D deficiency

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2010
Answered : 3312 Questions
hi doctor,

i have vitamin d deficiency at level 8 , whom(specialist) to consult for vitamin d deficiency?
General physician or Orthopedic?? What type medical treatment?

25 (OH) VITAMIN-D 8.0
Posted Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Healthy Living
Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Hi Sir,

I have read your query and understand your concern.

You need to consult an Endocrinologist in case you have low levels of vitamin D,as they give a finely tuned and precise doses of required amount of vitamin D.

The normal level of vit D is 25-80ng/ml.
So you have severe deficiency of vit D(ie.less than 10).

In your case medical management would give excellent results.

A loading dose of 50,000 I.U. of vitamin D orally once a week for 3 months followed by a maintainance/preventive dose of 1000-2000 I.U/day is needed to maintain the vit D levels above 30ng/ml.

In all cases the levels of vit D should be kept above 30ng/ml.a daily calcium intake of 1000 mg in two divided doses should be taken in the first three months.
repeat the serum vit D levels after 3 months.

Dietary intake of foods rich in vit D and calcium is very important.
They include milk and eggs.

Note :Never consume a dose more than 10,000 IU on any single day as it can predispose to toxicity symptoms.

I hope this info is helpful to you,
Post your further queries on
Thank you,
Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor