Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

121 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest the treatment for swollen legs

Answered by
Dr. Shruti Rijhwani


Practicing since :2008

Answered : 2366 Questions

Posted on Wed, 20 Nov 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: My wife has had continued trouble with swollen legs. She has been recommended and purchased tight stockings,She still has trouble, and thinks they are too tight. A doctor’s recommendation has been told to keep her legs up above her heart, which she does not have success with. Is there some regular treatment which can be applied to remedy her swollen legs, such as tablets or cream to rub with. She is looking for a permanent solution, apart from operations. Please assist. She is aged 82, and she is permanently retired.,a and on a pension. Thank you. Regards, Hec.
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 15 minutes later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Sir , Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX Well looking ito your problem I would like to tell you that your doctor was right in advising you to keep your legs above your heart level . Any treatment for swollen legs depends upon the cause , like say if it due to heart failure then diuretics can be prescribed , if it is due to varicose veins stalkings and surgery will be needed . Considering her age I would tell you to go for more conservative management . Try limiting fluid intake to 1.5 lts / day and keeping legs above her heart level by using a pillow . Avoid prolonged standing . Follow your treating doctors advise as he is the best judge of your situation . Take care. Dr. Shruti
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  
Medical Procedures

Recent questions on  Varicose veins

doctor1 MD

Dear Dr., I had varicose veins operation 7 years ago. After that my legs pain. My doctor told it is neurological pain. He prescribed me Lyrica 75 mg 1 OD. But still my legs pain. I am unable to walk too long. Can U please help me. My age is 47, wt: 60 kg, ht: 5.7 ft, No diabetics, No BP. No other illness. Thank you.

doctor1 MD

Hi I have visible swollen veins on the side of scrotum I have no pain I've had varicose veins removed from left leg some years ago what is the procedure in my situationMy age is 45 I'm 180 cm and 90 kg I'm active at work up and down the ladder all day

doctor1 MD

My right ankle keeps swelling up through the day and it has now started to itch. I also have a red rash on both legs coming up to my knees. I do have a few varicose veins in the back of my knee joint and I ve tried support knee socks but they must bruise my leg at the knee and make my legs very hot.

doctor1 MD

My brother is have a leg pain below his left know. We did ultrasound and it was not a varicose. Pain is such that he cant even Walk. Doctors have referred to Spine clinic. When doctor said spine , Iam very worried. My brother is 52 Yrs old, and he is liver transplant patient , ( Transplant was done 5 years back.)

doctor1 MD

my feet is always swollen and now I find my feet skin getting dark in colour. My weight is 81. does it mean anything. During pregnancy my doctor told that my body is retaining water that s why it gets swollen.

doctor1 MD

Noticed swelling between ankle bone and sole of both feet. Recent vericose veins on shins are unsightly. Symptoms are blood pressure increased from low-normal to high after sovaldi/ribaviun 12 week treatment ending July 2016. Back pain in very low...

doctor1 MD

Hi, I am a 59 year old woman, non-smoker, 5'7' and 171 pounds. In the past month I have developed pain in my right inner ankle and there is a small lump on it. There is no bruising, it is not red or hot. I have not suffered any falls or injuries....