Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
131 Doctors are Online

Suggest the treatment for asthma control without corticosteroid?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 1979
Answered : 1126 Questions
What can I use for asthma control that does not also require a corticosteroid? I have lived with asthma for about 80years without medication problems but every corticosteroid I've taken causes an unendurable dry cough.
Posted Mon, 16 Sep 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Take Monteleukast tablet or salbutamol inhaler.

Detailed Answer:

Since you have had asthma for a good part of your life, you must be aware that corticosteroids are the mainstay of treatment of asthma. To avoid the side effects of long term use of steroids they are generally given in inhaled form which have minimal side effects.

Having said that, i do agree with you that at times a person can have cough with steroids. You have not mentioned if you develop cough with any form of steroids(oral and inhaled) or it is only when you take the inhalers you develop cough because inhalers are known to cause cough in some individuals.

You may try taking antileukotreins like monteleukast. It can be taken by itself or in combination with levocetrizine.

If you tolerate inhalers than you may try non steroid inhalers like levoasalbutamol or terbutalin.

Another inhaler that is available for asthma is Tiova which can be taken alone or combined with salbutamol/levosalbutamol.

If symptoms are little more severe you may try taking doxophyllin after consulting your physician.

If you are not tolerating only the inhaled steroids, i suggest you may take oral steroids in minimal effective dose. You may consult your physician who will help you in arriving at this minimal effective dosage.

I do hope this answers your query.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Allergist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor