Suggest the medication for MRSA infection. Is it completely curable?

Dr. S Patra

OB and GYN Specialist

Posted on Tue, 10 Sep 2013 in Infections
Question: can a patient ever be completely cured from MRSA infection. what is the best antibiotic and prescribed time to get rid of it
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Cure is difficult, but not impossible. Vancomycin Is Best.

Detailed Answer:

A patient with MRSA (Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus) infection is very difficult to treat and it depends on several factors like patient's age, renal and liver function, blood sugar level, body immunity, association of other systemic disease, severity of infection, drug sensitivity etc.

Vancomycin and teicoplanin are best antibiotics to treat MRSA. Some resistance is noticed with new strain of MRSA. If vancomicin is resistant with more severe infection, linezolid, daptomycin, ceftaroline etc are very much effective .

The patients needs to be in regular follow up with an infectious disease specialist or a physician for complete evaluation of the case and antibiotic should be started at the earliest based on culture sensitivity test. Maintaining good personal hygeine and improved nutrition will aid in faster recovery.

Hope, it helps for your information. Let me know, if you need any clarification.

Wish your good health. Good luck.

Dr Soumen
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad