Suggest the ideal dosage for vitamin D supplement
My son has a vitamin D deficiency with a value of 12 ng/ml. He is 13 years old. The rest of values, Calcium and Phosphataze Alcalin are normal. I was adviced for an injection with D3 at 200.000 IU once a week, for 3 weeks. It is the optimal dose? Also the doctor told me nothing about Ca supplementation.
Please advice me in this regard.
I would recommend a lower dose!
Hello and thank you for asking!
I have gone carefully through your concern.
I think 200 000 IU in a week is a high dose, and in these cases you have to monitor very closely the Vit D level to avoid an intoxication (even though it is rare).
If i were your treating doctor i would recommend 50 000 IU (tablets) once a week, or 200 000 IU (injections) in 1 month.
The most important is to get him exposed to the sun in order to avoid further vitamin D deficiency.
Hope the information will help.
P.S. Please close the conversation and rate the answer if you do not have further questions. Thank you
50000 IU once a week, for how long, please?
200 000 IU (injection) only a dose?
From your experience oral or injection will be the best?
For doses you have kindly mentioned is no need for Calcium supplementation or closely monitor levels?
It will take the same dose if we will go for example at the seaside, or for that time I have to skip the week dose?
Thank you so much
In these cases i would recommend oral treatment for 6 months.
In general needs a 6 months treatment to correct the Vit D levels. The first check of the Vit D level should be done after 3 months. I do not recommend to take Calcium supplements until calcium level is within the normal ranges and he doesn't have bone diseases (we are talking about a simple Vit D deficiency without other problems). The scheme i do recommend in these cases is:
- 50,000 IU capsules, one given weekly for 6 weeks (300,000 IU)
- 20,000 IU capsules, two given weekly for 7 weeks (280,000 IU)
- 800 IU capsules, five a day given for 10 weeks (280,000 IU).
There are not yet proper studies who tells exactly what to do during summer time, but i from my experience i recommend to stop the treatment during that week that you go to beach.
Hope i was clear.
After those weeks is there any need for a maintenance dose?
Six months treatment will be enough but the problem is to avoid future insufficiencies. If you do not have the possibility to get exposed to the sun and if you continue the same way of living i recommend to take 800 UI vit D each day, in order to prevent further insufficiencies.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Calcium with vitamin d dosage
- Vitamin d supplements
- Liquid vitamin d supplement
- Types of vitamin d supplements
- Vitamin d supplements and psoriasis
- Vitamin d dosage for sad
- Osteoporosis taken calcium supplements vitamin d suggestions
- Vitamin d and calcium supplement
- Vitamin d supplements and microalbumin
- Chewable vitamin d supplement
- What causes blurred vision, digestive issues and dizziness when...
- What causes weight gain and heat intolerance while on Synthroid,...
- Suggest treatment for weight gain when diagnosed with adrenal fatigue
- What causes hyperthyroidism?
- What are the side effects of long term intake of Aspirin?
- What do anxiety and palpitations and TSH level of 3.0 indicate?
- Suggest the ideal dosage for vitamin D supplement
- What causes increased weight gain with abdominal pain?
- Suggest treatment for insomnia and dizziness in a hypertensive person
- What are the possible effects of switching from Humalog to Novolog?