Suggest the ideal dosage for Susten

Dr. Deepti Verma

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine

Posted on Wed, 24 Aug 2016 in Pregnancy
Question: My sister got her cervical length as 3.2 cms at 22nd week of pregnancy. Doctor has said to use susten VT 200. She is skeptical regarding its side effects. Please tell how safe it is, what is the dosage limit/day (Dr has said 2 pills a day). Are there any serious concerns ?
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Cervical length is normal, susten VT is safe

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
I have gone through your question and understand your concerns.
A cervical length of more than 2.5 cm at 22-24 weeks of pregnancy is completely normal and there is no risk of preterm labour at the cervical length of 3.2 cm.
Susten VT 200 is micronised progesterone and is safe for both mother and the fetus at any gestation of pregnancy. The dose limit is 2 tablets a day of susten VT 200.
However, at this cervical length, there is no need of progesterone supplementation if there is no other significant history like previous preterm labour, pain lower abdomen, or spotting or bleeding in this pregnancy.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr Deepti Verma
OBGYN
Maternal and fetal medicine specialist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj