Suggest the ideal dosage for Misoprostol

Dr. Jacqueline Brown

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in Birth Control
Question: Took the first pill at the doctors office. 3 days later I took 4 pills of misoprosol orally and threw those up 45 after taking them. I took 4 more on the second night and threw those up after 45 minutes. I have only lightly spotted and have no heavy bleeding. Is this working? I've only had severe cramps. What should I do?
Answered by Dr. Jacqueline Brown 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You should get more Misoprostil and place the pills in the vagina

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and I hope I can help you today.

If you cannot hold down the Misiprostil pills, they are actually more effective when placed in the vagina. You should place 4 tablets (200 mg each) in the vagina and repeat in 24 hours if nothing happens, though I am sure some of the medication got into your system if you're having cramping. Taking an anti-inflammatory pain reliever like ibuprofen will help with the pain without reducing the effectiveness.

If you ever start bleeding so heavily that you soak more than a pad an hour, you should seek emergency medical care as a surgical procedure may be necessary.

I hope I was able to adequately answer your question today and that my advice was helpful. If you need any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best wishes,

Dr. Brown
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T