Suggest the ideal dosage for Lovastatin for heart disease
I am taking lovastatin; by mistake, I started taking 120 mg instead of 80 mg (I have been taking 80 mg for several years); every time I am going back to 80 mg, I feel much worse ( I have a heart disease)
The problem: the maximum recommended dose is 80 mg. Can I keep taking the above recommended dose? Lovastatin is considered to be a weak statin, and my cholesterol numbers are fine.
Hi and thank you for asking!
I read your query and understood your concerns.
The actual recommended dose for lovastatin is 80 mg. However, there's a study which us 120 mg of lovastatin for stabilizing cholesterol levels, but further studys are needed in order to confirm efficacy and safety.
My advice is to avoid exceeding 80 mg and discuss with your doctor to add another peel to relieve your symptoms. Combined therapy is more effective and safety in your case.
Hope this helps!
Wish you health!
The study which used Lovastatin 60 mg to 120 mg is mentioned in a lot of studirs and meta analysis.
You may read about this at the following link: http://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/archives/fdaDrugInfo.cfm?archiveid=3347
Hope this will be of help!
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Allintitle diffuse heart disease diffuse heart disease
- Is darker skin suggestive of underlying heart disease
- High esr heart disease
- Heart disease and heart attacks
- Suggest treatment of cough for a chronic heart disease patient
- Please suggest me about heart disease
- Suggest medication for rheumatic heart disease and back pain
- Pizza and heart disease
- The widower heart disease
- Hot showers and heart disease
- Had amputated percussion breaks in spine. Dealing with chronic pain....
- Took valtrex and vitimans B complex for shingles. Pain in temple,...
- Why is the heart beating rapidly only at night?
- Have cold sweats, nausea, dizziness and elevated blood pressure. On BP...
- Experiencing dizziness. Blood pressure 143/80. Do not get enough sleep....
- Should I be worried about a pulse reading of 103?
- Taking metformin. Getting swollen lymph nodes. Suggest medication?
- History of heart attack. Having ventricular premature beat. Will I get...
- Diagnosed with gastritis and hernia. No improvement with prevacid. What...
- Feel like blood is not circulating in legs. Which specialist should I see?